I was thinking. I think we need the Oprah book club back.
I hear from many people about their stress and how they feel that
people do not care, are rude, and feel that humanity is not in a good place. Of
course, we can blame COVID and other stressors, but the reality is that we can
be living better and treating each other better. Common observation and
complaint is the nastiness of the comments people make to each other and
comments about “ cancel culture,” which means different things to different
people. However, the reality is a lack of forgiveness and the sense that people
make mistakes but are perhaps taught about the problem so they can learn and do
better next time. Another controversial term is “woke.” One would think that “woke”
means awake and enlightened, but that is used to downplay a progressive idea.
I think we need Oprah’s book club back. This thought came to me as
I was working on a presentation. My
presentation is on the use of fiction to assist medical and mental health
providers in learning, among other things, to understand their minority clients.
In fiction, the protagonist has a voice, I feel it is non-threatening and enlightens
the reader about the protagonist's culture and experience. It’s a way to make
us more sensitive to other people who may look different or speak differently,
but once those layers are removed, we are all the same and want the same things
from life.
Oprah’s book club started before everyone was overfocused on their
phones, videos, and reels. Books were for sale everywhere, and you could pick
one up at the coffee shop or grocery store. Then, once a month, Oprah would
discuss the book. Oprah’s books often had a theme, family, family dysfunction,
and child abuse/neglect to name a few that stood out for me. Perhaps some will
be offended by “woke,” but let us wake up. We are all imperfect humans trying
to do the best we can, let us focus on helping and caring for each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment