What are our cultural priorities? Do we care about others? Is profit the primary motivator?
This morning on National Public Radio (NPR), I heard gas prices
had decreased. However, insulin prices are high, and some American families must
travel to Canada because they cannot afford insulin. As I hear this, I think
about the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the political opposition to the Act.
One of the goals of the ACA was to have everyone with health insurance
coverage
When gasoline prices increased, there was outrage. However, for
healthcare, specifically insulin, there does not appear to be the same outrage.
I wonder why? Is it we blame the victim? The person did something to cause
their diabetes? Did the parents of children with diabetes do something wrong?
Did you know that in 1923 the patent for insulin was sold for $1.00?
The patent owners wanted insulin to be available for everyone who needed it
Perhaps it is time for introspection. What do we want as
Americans? As people? And for others in our society? Where is our empathy? If
our brothers and sisters are strong, we are strong. Each one of us being healthy
in mind and body makes a strong and healthy nation.
Huang, B. (2019, November 14). Insulin rationing
led to daughter’s death, lehigh valley woman says. high cost forces many
diabetics to do the same. The Morning Call. https://www.mcall.com/health/mc-hea-insulin-rationing-poverty-20191114-2a5yaasyrbaute57t6dyo3leam-story.html
The soaring cost of insulin. (n.d.). CBC. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/blog/the-soaring-cost-of-insulin-1.4995290#:~:text=In%201923%2C%20the%20patent%20for%20insulin%20was%20sold,the%20U.S.%20And%20that%20has%20implications%20for%20Canada.
No comments:
Post a Comment