Sunday, April 16, 2023

Adversity, illness, image, American life.....

 I came across this story as I turned on my computer. It seems controversial since I think every reader will have a different opinion. 

This news anchor has been working through cancer treatment, wearing a wig and false lashes. After nearly a year, she's taking it all off. (msn.com) 

Based on what I have been exposed to and heard from people, I think the following issues may come up. 

"We work through illness in the USA because we don't have a governmental safety net " 

"But female anchors have a certain aesthetic" 

" She should be at home resting" 

 My heart warmed at the fact that she was not fired, and Kudos to the station. This gave her an opportunity to keep her purpose and some sense of normalcy as she was getting treatment. I believe that as long as she can work, based on her health status, she should. 

It must have been difficult to remove her "safety" and "comfort" wig and lashes. She did it, and great for her. She has very short hair and is gray. She looks great and natural. I think it is wonderful that gray hair is now in style because it should be. We are all headed there, and we should celebrate the fact that we have those gray hairs. They symbolize a life lived and knowledge acquired. Most importantly, in her case, she has received treatment, as she says, for an "aggressive cancer that grew within a year"

Kuddos and " mad respect" to her, her colleagues, and the station. 

Please be kind to each other. We are all battling something even if we don't show it. 

Thank you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Early on Thanksgiving month 2025

  Today is November 6th, I am writing this at 4:04 am. Yes, I slept but the time change has messed with my dog's mind, and she needed to...